Guidelines for the Steering Committee of a SIGPLAN Event
All conference series that are sponsored by SIGPLAN must be organized by a
Steering Committee (SC). The SC, working in partnership
with the SIGPLAN Executive Committee (EC), is responsible for the
overall organization and financial plan of each conference
Responsibilities of the SC
- To appoint the conference General Chair and Program
Chair, after approval by the EC Vice-Chair.
- To provide help and guidance to the General Chair in selecting
the site and date and preparing the budget, in collaboration
with SIGPLAN’s liaison at ACM. Also to provide help and
guidance with the overall technical organization of the
- To request approval from the EC Chair and Vice-Chair
whenever a major change is planned for the conference.
- To have a representative attend SIGPLAN EC
meetings when issues relevant to the conference are under
Steering Committee Bylaws
The SC operates under a set of rules, which must be
established by the initial steering committee and approved by the
SIGPLAN EC. These rules must include the following:
- Composition of the SC:
the number of members serving, and the structure of the committee.
(For example, the SC could be made up of the current
and previous two General Chairs and Program Chairs.)
- Committee member rotation: how committee members are rotated
off the SC (how often, how many, and in
- How the chair of the SC is determined.
- The schedule for the conference: how often and
what time of year.
- Suggestion: The SC can include the current SIGPLAN EC Chair and
Vice Chair as members.
It is recommended that pending changes are communicated to the community in advance, e.g., at the open meeting of the previous conference.
Surveys of authors, reviewers and attendees are a good mechanism for gathering community feedback. Careful alignment of survey questions from year to year and with those from other SIGPLAN conferences may allow meaningful comparisons to be drawn longitudinally and among the conferences.
Important Email Addresses
SIGPLAN Vice Chair:
SIGPLAN Information Director:
ACM Representative to SIGPLAN (Abigail Sumandal):