Guidelines for the Steering Committee of a SIGPLAN Event
All conference series that are sponsored by SIGPLAN must be organized by a
Steering Committee (SC). The SC, working in partnership
with the SIGPLAN Executive Committee (EC), is responsible for the
overall organization and financial plan of each conference
Responsibilities of the SC
- To appoint the conference General Chair and Program
Chair, after approval by the EC Chair and Vice-Chair.
- To provide help and guidance to the General Chair in selecting
the site and date and preparing the budget, in collaboration
with SIGPLAN’s liaison at ACM. Also to provide help and
guidance with the overall technical organization of the
- To request approval from the EC Chair and Vice-Chair
whenever a major change is planned for the conference.
- To notify the EC Chair and Vice-Chair when the membership
of the SC changes.
- To have a representative attend SIGPLAN EC
meetings when issues relevant to the conference are under
Steering Committee Bylaws
The SC operates under a set of rules, which must be
established by the initial steering committee and approved by
SIGPLAN EC. These rules must include the following:
- Composition of the SC:
the number of members serving, and the structure of the committee.
(For example, the SC could be made up of the current
and previous two General Chairs and Program Chairs.)
- Committee member rotation: how committee members are rotated
off the SC (how often, how many, and in
- How the chair of the SC is determined.
- The schedule for the conference: how often and
what time of year.
Important Email Addresses
SIGPLAN Vice Chair:
SIGPLAN Information Director:
ACM Representative to SIGPLAN (Abigail Sumandal):